Awww, how cute
Baby's first migraine. Wait. Not cute. At all. Oh. my. god. It was awful. The pain itself wasn't that bad - I've had much worse headaches - but the sensitivity to light and sound was a real killer. I had to wrap a pair of fleece pajamas around my eyes (hey, I was desperate and didn't want to move too far) and hide under the covers. The sound of the cracker wrapper and people walking on hard wood floors made me want to vomit. Luckily, there was no puke-age, but there was plent of misery.
It was on Monday and today's the first day I haven't had a headache yet (though it is only 2pm). I didn't come in to work on Monday or the first half of Tuesday. I still don't feel quite right, but I'm feeling better. And I have a doctor's appointment tomorrow since it was my worst headache ever and you're supposed to be concerned about that. I wasn't sure what to do, so I spoke to a nurse at my clinic (I was there anyway to pick up my asthma meds). Apparently getting 3-5 headaches per month isn't normal either. Huh. Who'd 'a' thunk it?
The thing is, Western medicine really needs to get its act together: it has no idea what to do when someone is having mental issues or chronic pain. I'd have gone to my doc earlier about my headaches except most of the time the answer is, "Well, we don't really know what causes it, so all you can really do is monitor it and treat your body properly." Thanks. (Okay, that's the response for me being tired a lot, and from what I've been reading, the response is pretty much the same for headaches). And, really, that's probably the best I can hope for tomorrow. (I will not consider the possibility of some horrible reason for the headaches, since I won't let myself worry about that until there's proof).
I know, I know. There are all sort of new migraine drugs. But, most likely that won't help since that's normally not what I get. (That might not be entirely accurate - most of my headaches are at the front of my head - above and behind the eyes, in the teeth, bridge of nose, etc - where sinus headaches occur, but I don't have a sinus infection. And some studies have been coming out saying that 90% of self-diagnosed sinus headaches are actually migraines, but those headaches are very different from what I had on Monday). Did I mention that these 3-5 headaches per month are often not helped with OTC drugs, so I normally don't even bother taking them (so are not rebound headaches). And the advisor wonders why I don't get much work done!
Well, I'll try to be positive. Maybe the doctor can find something that'll help me tomorrow. Shouldn't hurt to try...
It was on Monday and today's the first day I haven't had a headache yet (though it is only 2pm). I didn't come in to work on Monday or the first half of Tuesday. I still don't feel quite right, but I'm feeling better. And I have a doctor's appointment tomorrow since it was my worst headache ever and you're supposed to be concerned about that. I wasn't sure what to do, so I spoke to a nurse at my clinic (I was there anyway to pick up my asthma meds). Apparently getting 3-5 headaches per month isn't normal either. Huh. Who'd 'a' thunk it?
The thing is, Western medicine really needs to get its act together: it has no idea what to do when someone is having mental issues or chronic pain. I'd have gone to my doc earlier about my headaches except most of the time the answer is, "Well, we don't really know what causes it, so all you can really do is monitor it and treat your body properly." Thanks. (Okay, that's the response for me being tired a lot, and from what I've been reading, the response is pretty much the same for headaches). And, really, that's probably the best I can hope for tomorrow. (I will not consider the possibility of some horrible reason for the headaches, since I won't let myself worry about that until there's proof).
I know, I know. There are all sort of new migraine drugs. But, most likely that won't help since that's normally not what I get. (That might not be entirely accurate - most of my headaches are at the front of my head - above and behind the eyes, in the teeth, bridge of nose, etc - where sinus headaches occur, but I don't have a sinus infection. And some studies have been coming out saying that 90% of self-diagnosed sinus headaches are actually migraines, but those headaches are very different from what I had on Monday). Did I mention that these 3-5 headaches per month are often not helped with OTC drugs, so I normally don't even bother taking them (so are not rebound headaches). And the advisor wonders why I don't get much work done!
Well, I'll try to be positive. Maybe the doctor can find something that'll help me tomorrow. Shouldn't hurt to try...
2 Comments:
Poor chica. Migraines are awful. As I have posted before, Imitrex is wonderful. I would happily marry Imitrex and have its little migraine-free babies. Hopefully your doctor gave you some, to help ward off the misery.
I just read a book (given to me by my kickass headache doctor -- if you're still having trouble, you might want to try to see her next time you're in town) that suggests that all headaches are caused by the migraine phenomenon, whether they manifest as classic migraines or not. Unfortunately, it doesn't offer many solutions beyond getting off medications that cause rebound (Excedrin, birth control pills, etc) and removing dietary triggers such as caffeine, chocolate, bacon, and all the other good things in life.
Oh -- and a tip that helps me -- always wear sunglasses. For light-eyed people especially, bright light can be just about the biggest trigger. If it's not actively dark outside now I wear sunglasses, and when it's really glare-y I wear a hat to cut down further on the light bugging me. Hopefully your doctor gave you something helpful today, and your headache is settling down.
By
KateMonster, at 7:58 PM
I think maybe a shrieking 2.5 year old was the trigger. She's cute, but she was showing off since lots of her parents' friends were at the house (and she was finally feeling well again after having a cold).
By
Random Questioner, at 1:40 PM
Post a Comment
<< Home