Blah
"Grooming a girl is like watering a neighbor's garden."
A number of news articles include this "Indian maxim" when describing why female fetuses and babies are killed at a higher rate than boy babies and fetuses. Only one word to describe that: classy.
--------------------------------------
So I told one of my friends I'd make her a birthday cake, since today is her birthday (we're celebrating tomorrow). Normally for me, baking is kind of soothing. Well, not tonight. I decided to make a chocolate sheet/ sheath cake because they're a) delicious and b) feed a lot of people. Everything was going well until I baked it. My oven is not big enough to fit a jelly roll pan (cookie sheet with sides) width-wise, so I put it in length-wise. But, the oven racks are raised. I hoped the pan wasn't full enough that cake would spill, but it did. And the cake came out about 4 times taller on one end than the other. :( I called my mom for support and guidance, and we decided just to cut the cake in half and make it 2 layers. This works okay, but the cake isn't pretty, which makes me very sad. And then the icing didn't come out quite right either. The cake will still be delicious, but it's not as good as it can be, and baking is one of the few areas of my life I feel like I have enough control over to make it good, so I'm pretty disappointed. And I have to clean my oven now! Oh well. At least it'll be tasty...
A number of news articles include this "Indian maxim" when describing why female fetuses and babies are killed at a higher rate than boy babies and fetuses. Only one word to describe that: classy.
--------------------------------------
So I told one of my friends I'd make her a birthday cake, since today is her birthday (we're celebrating tomorrow). Normally for me, baking is kind of soothing. Well, not tonight. I decided to make a chocolate sheet/ sheath cake because they're a) delicious and b) feed a lot of people. Everything was going well until I baked it. My oven is not big enough to fit a jelly roll pan (cookie sheet with sides) width-wise, so I put it in length-wise. But, the oven racks are raised. I hoped the pan wasn't full enough that cake would spill, but it did. And the cake came out about 4 times taller on one end than the other. :( I called my mom for support and guidance, and we decided just to cut the cake in half and make it 2 layers. This works okay, but the cake isn't pretty, which makes me very sad. And then the icing didn't come out quite right either. The cake will still be delicious, but it's not as good as it can be, and baking is one of the few areas of my life I feel like I have enough control over to make it good, so I'm pretty disappointed. And I have to clean my oven now! Oh well. At least it'll be tasty...
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home