An Update and Some Thoughts
I'm feeling like a better approximation of a human today. Yay! I have a bit of a headache (boo!), but my belly is feeling more settled and I can now believe that someday I will be back to normal. And, really, that's good news.
I've been watching a bit of the Olympics (really, one of my favorite pastimes) and have enjoyed watching the half-pipers. And laughing at their incoherence, but I digress. I've come to the conclusion that ice skating should be more like the half-pipe. Instead of having the ridiculous music and costumes, they should just go out on the ice and show off. There could be, say, 6 runs - 2 each of jumps, spins, and foot work, with the highest of each run counting. That way, they could go for the more adventurous jumps (like a triple axle for women) in one pass, and if they don't make it, they could try again or be more conservative. They could reward either the best overall, or the best in each category. Clearly, there are some issues that would need to be worked out (the exact events, how long, how to judge, etc), but I really think it could work. Because, really, the Olympics shouldn't be judging freakin' choreography - leave that to the Tony's.
I've been watching a bit of the Olympics (really, one of my favorite pastimes) and have enjoyed watching the half-pipers. And laughing at their incoherence, but I digress. I've come to the conclusion that ice skating should be more like the half-pipe. Instead of having the ridiculous music and costumes, they should just go out on the ice and show off. There could be, say, 6 runs - 2 each of jumps, spins, and foot work, with the highest of each run counting. That way, they could go for the more adventurous jumps (like a triple axle for women) in one pass, and if they don't make it, they could try again or be more conservative. They could reward either the best overall, or the best in each category. Clearly, there are some issues that would need to be worked out (the exact events, how long, how to judge, etc), but I really think it could work. Because, really, the Olympics shouldn't be judging freakin' choreography - leave that to the Tony's.
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home