A change is afoot?
As many of you know, I have been utterly miserable wrt my research lately. I reached wits' end on Wednesday and sent a desperate plea to an assistant professor I know to help me with my research, since my advisor is "out of town and out of the loop" in more ways than one. She graciously agreed to help me with a paper with a deadline for next Friday. But that's still not the optimal solution - I appreciate her help more than I can say, but the thought of my research still brings me to tears.
Bring in Boy. Boy and his family are friends with another well-known professor in my department, one from whom I took a class (and kicked its butt). Boy's mom is a therapist, so she is used to helping people who are miserable. And did I mention she's friends with Eminent Professor? Anyway, she called him tonight, told him I was miserable with my advisor and our 3 minute meetings, told him I felt like I would never get my PhD, and asked if he would talk to me about possibly advising me. He said it was fine, that I should go ahead and contact him. So I just emailed him, and I'm giddy with anticipation. It's frightening, terrifying, but my gut tells me it's the right thing to do. Wish me luck...
Bring in Boy. Boy and his family are friends with another well-known professor in my department, one from whom I took a class (and kicked its butt). Boy's mom is a therapist, so she is used to helping people who are miserable. And did I mention she's friends with Eminent Professor? Anyway, she called him tonight, told him I was miserable with my advisor and our 3 minute meetings, told him I felt like I would never get my PhD, and asked if he would talk to me about possibly advising me. He said it was fine, that I should go ahead and contact him. So I just emailed him, and I'm giddy with anticipation. It's frightening, terrifying, but my gut tells me it's the right thing to do. Wish me luck...
1 Comments:
awesome! getting out of a dysfunctional setting makes such a difference...
By
asterisk, at 12:33 AM
Post a Comment
<< Home