Change *is* afoot...
So my talk with Eminent Professor yesterday went well. In fact, I can now call him New Advisor. :) He told me that if it hadn't been me, and if I didn't want to go into academia, he probably wouldn't be willing to take me on, but since I'm me and want to be an academic, he'll do it, which makes me feel amazing (and a little like I don't deserve this). It's weird, since now I feel my old dreams of being a prof who enjoys doing research are coming back. I don't think I'd do well at a Top 3 research program, but still, this is a long way from where my hopes had sunk.
This weekend I am supposed to be contemplating:
1) Do I want to be co-advised? If so, with who?
2) Do I want an internship?
3) Do I want to do something completely in his area, or something that is a mix of his area and my old area?
I'm almost positive the answer to #2 is yes. I think it'd do me good to get away for a while, especially since I've *never* interned. And I think I'd like to be co-advised, but there are some political issues involved, some of which tie into #3 (eg, what if I want to do a mix not with my old advisor) and some of which are departmental (Old and New advisor are well tenured and very established and I don't want to hurt an asst prof's tenure case). Part of me wants to wash my hands of my old area, but I don't think that's the right decision, especially wrt getting me out. I think getting away for the summer will help me figure out what I want to do and will help me get the bitter taste out of my mouth...
Almost everyone I've told has seemed relieved to hear the news. I'm glad people are so supportive, but I feel bad that so many people were so worried about me. Sorry, folks, but thanks for the support! The other reaction has been surprise that I've actually gone and switched advisors. Many people in my area are displeased, but they just seem to deal with it, whereas, I've gone and tried to change things. But, like I've said, I'm not ready to give up on getting a PhD and being a professor, so this is what I had to do.
This weekend I am supposed to be contemplating:
1) Do I want to be co-advised? If so, with who?
2) Do I want an internship?
3) Do I want to do something completely in his area, or something that is a mix of his area and my old area?
I'm almost positive the answer to #2 is yes. I think it'd do me good to get away for a while, especially since I've *never* interned. And I think I'd like to be co-advised, but there are some political issues involved, some of which tie into #3 (eg, what if I want to do a mix not with my old advisor) and some of which are departmental (Old and New advisor are well tenured and very established and I don't want to hurt an asst prof's tenure case). Part of me wants to wash my hands of my old area, but I don't think that's the right decision, especially wrt getting me out. I think getting away for the summer will help me figure out what I want to do and will help me get the bitter taste out of my mouth...
Almost everyone I've told has seemed relieved to hear the news. I'm glad people are so supportive, but I feel bad that so many people were so worried about me. Sorry, folks, but thanks for the support! The other reaction has been surprise that I've actually gone and switched advisors. Many people in my area are displeased, but they just seem to deal with it, whereas, I've gone and tried to change things. But, like I've said, I'm not ready to give up on getting a PhD and being a professor, so this is what I had to do.
2 Comments:
YAY! So happy to hear the good news.
If you've got some free time this summer, you should consider coming to London for a weekend.... Free housing and everything!
By
KateMonster, at 6:22 PM
Nice job, Random. :-)
By
skookumchick, at 10:03 PM
Post a Comment
<< Home