I ask a lot of questions

Thursday, August 17, 2006

Saga draws to a close

Or at least that's the hope. Creepy post-doc (CP) finally burned up the rest of my fuse. People seem to forget that I do have a fuse, and then are even more surprised when it's a fuse to C4 and not dynamite. To quote Julia Roberts' character in Pretty Woman, "Big Mistake." CP made me so upset I could hardly work yesterday afternoon, and when I came in this morning and felt the pressure in my chest coming back, I knew it was time. I talked to one of the regular employees. He suggested I talk to HR. So I talked to the HR manager; I guess he's the one who handles harassment issues. I was completely upfront: I told him what I did that I thought was not appropriate, and I told him everything CP did that was highly inappropriate. There was one incident I'm embarrassed to admit*, but I knew it'd be best for me to be upfront. CP is vindictive, so I didn't want them to be surprised by any of CP's "ammunition." Luckily, he left a lot of evidence: emails and instant messaging logs. Once I told the tale, the HR guy was very supportive, and apologized profusely. This afternoon, he talked to my boss. My boss in turn was very supportive and seemed very upset that he hadn't noticed the behavior. He also apologized profusely, and assured me that I should feel comfortable here. I'd like to know what punishment CP will receive. I really don't think he's going to take it well, so I'm a little afraid of what he may try to do to get back at me. That being said, things couldn't go on as they were.

* My inappropriateness resulted from a tactic I have for difficult people. When they're harassing me about something and cannot be deterred through reason and/or being ignored, I agree with them and step over the line. An example might be if someone is arguing women don't belong in STEM. If I can't reason with the person, and they won't be ignored, for some reason, saying something like "You're so right. Women are just dumb b*tches who belong pregnant and in the kitchen," will make them stop, or at least distract them.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home