I ask a lot of questions

Wednesday, January 03, 2007

Bah

My grandmother, who is undergoing radiation and chemo for early stage lung cancer had requested a coconut cream pie. Today, I decided to make it since her taste for sweets is returning (apparently a common chemo side effect is not wanting sweets because chemo kills fast growing cells, and the sweet taste buds are fast growing). So I pull out my mom's trusty red and white cookbook and start making it all from scratch. I think everything is going mostly okay, but I notice when I go to pull it out of the oven, the filling is still runny. I go and ask my mom and learn that for the short-cooking pie fillings, the filling won't set any more from when you finish it out on the stove top. Now my question: how the hell was I supposed to know that I should keep cooking the filling until it was thick?! F*ckers. And I burned my hand getting the pie out of the oven! This is why I don't like trying new recipes. It better taste good.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home