Fashion
I hate the fashion industry. It seems to exist mainly to make women feel bad about themselves. Oddly enough, I don't often have body issues because of it, maybe because I don't pay much attention to it. I don't read fashion magazines and am amazingly out of touch with pop culture. Plus, I'm relatively happy with my shape. What bothers me more is that fashions are not determined by what looks good on real, actual women, but on what looks good on models who might as well be walking hangers. Plus, they don't seem to feel like they can stick with the same basic, flattering shapes since it's all about the bottom line, and to make the most money they need to constantly make the previous season's clothes obviously out of style.
Which actually brings up my bigger issue with fashion: money. Fashion makes me feel bad because, particularly as a grad student, I am not exactly rolling in the dough, so it always reminds me of that. I'm picky, I admit it, but I'd have clothes I like better if I had more money. In general, the difference between a low-end store and a higher-end store is obvious in two areas: fabric and cut. I understand that cheaper places will have clothes made from cheaper fabric, and that's fine. But I don't understand why they can't get better cuts. Even a mediocre pattern maker should, in my opinion, be able to cut clothes for real shapes, but, sadly, that does not seem to be the case. I really should resolve to have fewer but higher quality clothes, so I should work on that.
Throw the above problems in with the fact that I think today's fashion is misogynistic, and it leaves me conflicted. I understand the need to present oneself well in our culture, but I hate feeling like I need to get a new wardrobe every season (not that I do), but then I also get tired of wearing my clothes, which tend to the basics, many of which I've had for years. I guess the solution to this would be to learn how to sew, or at least to be better about finding and supporting brands I like and that treat women as humans and not objects (but that don't end up making me look dowdy). Any ideas?
Which actually brings up my bigger issue with fashion: money. Fashion makes me feel bad because, particularly as a grad student, I am not exactly rolling in the dough, so it always reminds me of that. I'm picky, I admit it, but I'd have clothes I like better if I had more money. In general, the difference between a low-end store and a higher-end store is obvious in two areas: fabric and cut. I understand that cheaper places will have clothes made from cheaper fabric, and that's fine. But I don't understand why they can't get better cuts. Even a mediocre pattern maker should, in my opinion, be able to cut clothes for real shapes, but, sadly, that does not seem to be the case. I really should resolve to have fewer but higher quality clothes, so I should work on that.
Throw the above problems in with the fact that I think today's fashion is misogynistic, and it leaves me conflicted. I understand the need to present oneself well in our culture, but I hate feeling like I need to get a new wardrobe every season (not that I do), but then I also get tired of wearing my clothes, which tend to the basics, many of which I've had for years. I guess the solution to this would be to learn how to sew, or at least to be better about finding and supporting brands I like and that treat women as humans and not objects (but that don't end up making me look dowdy). Any ideas?
1 Comments:
you are soooooooooooo weird!!!!!!!!!! are you a boy or something?
By
raykaybeth, at 6:28 AM
Post a Comment
<< Home