I ask a lot of questions

Sunday, July 06, 2008

Uh-Oh

So I thought I was doing pretty well getting over the trauma that was the sexual harassment from 2 summers ago. Then I looked more closely at this upcoming conference's accepted paper's list, and I saw a quite unwelcome name. My stomach dropped and I felt rather nervous at the thought of maybe seeing him. So I called my health insurance's mental health department and explained the situation. I'll probably only be able to see the person once before I leave, but I hope that'll be enough of a start. And there's a guy from our lab going, so I'll alert him to the situation.

2 Comments:

  • :( :(

    I know someone in a not-entirely-different situation who has an "it's him or me" policy. Oh, to have that kind of leverage.

    It's sad that these people bounce from place to place but never just out. It makes me wonder how many of them are out there, and then my respect for all the women in the field shoots up some more.

    By Blogger smr, at 9:32 PM  

  • On the one hand, the "it's him or me" policy is nice (as long as it's always me). But, quite frankly, I was the wronged one, so I shouldn't have to change my behavior -- he should. I'm tempted to ask a conference chair (one of whom was actually our boss during that ill-fated internship) if he or his co-author registered, but I'm afraid it's a Schrodinger's cat type situation - I'm not sure if I'm ready to deal with a total yes. Though maybe knowing will be more helpful for my therapy. Hmm.

    I don't know if he currently has a job, but I know he has worked for another large company since being fired. The accepted papers list does not provide an affiliation for him, but that doesn't mean he doesn't have a job. His paper is linked on his website, but I don't want to click the link in case he's tracking where all the hits are coming from.

    By Blogger Random Questioner, at 10:50 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home