I ask a lot of questions

Saturday, July 19, 2008

Updates!

1) I posted my car on Craigslist Thursday afternoon. I had 3 emails expressing interest within 8 hours, and got a deposit for the car on Friday. I thought we were asking too much, but we obviously weren't.

The guy would like my car sooner rather than later, so that means I need to get a car soon. I've decided on a Forester. I'm looking forward to having an AWD this winter. And I only drive 3K miles a year, which makes me feel a little better about my carbon footprint. Then I'll be moving, and getting either a house or bigger apartment, so it'll be nice to have a larger vehicle to help me furnish it. My goal is to find a job that I like where I have to drive <= 6K miles a year. We'll see. If I have to drive a lot, I might get a car that gets better mpg.

I'm just glad this process is winding down. It's been making me so stressed out!

2) I emailed the woman who was my second-line manager the summer of my harrassment (has a nice ring to it, doesnt it?) because she is fortuitously the general chair of the conference where I could see my harrasser. I asked her if she could find out if he was registered so that I could prepare myself if necessary. She said she totally understood, and found out from the registration char that he is NOT registered. An author had to be registered by the beginning of the month, so I'm guessing/ hoping his co-author is coming and he will decide not to do a late registration. In the meantime, I went ahead and set up an appointment with a therapist to help me deal with it.

3) In general, I've been pleasantly surprised about how I've been treated during my car shopping process. It might be different if I showed up somewhere with a male, but as a single woman, I don't really feel like I've been talked down to, or swayed toward one car or another. They've had to talk to ME. No one has been pushy or going for the hard sell. Maybe it's because I live in a somewhat progressive town, but I'm not complaining.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home