I ask a lot of questions

Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Academia, Here I Come?

I've submitted all but maybe one application. I've had 2 "no, thank you"s and 3 "we want more info"s. Of the three who wanted to hear more, I've had two phone interviews and one questionnaire. I opted not to return the questionnaire. I feel bad doing it, but there are three main reasons I decided to take myself out of the running: 1) the school is not that great academically; 2) I would be one of only three professors doing hard-core work in my area - all the other profs, if they have a PhD, have it in a "softer" affiliated field; 3) the salary was too low, at least for that location. Taken together, I realized I'd rather work in an industrial/ research lab than be a prof there.

As to the other two places, well, I don't know. I tried not to make an ass of myself during the interview, but it's really hard when it's all over the phone and you can't judge their body language. Am I babbling, or do I need to go on? Am I totally failing? One place claims that they'll get back to me within a week. I'm not sure about the other place. Both of these schools are undergrad-mostly institutions. The PhD-granting schools are probably just now starting to look through their applications, and I don't expect to hear from them for a little while.

I hope I get at least one interview somewhere, since I spent some Christmas money to buy a nice three-piece suit (jacket, pants, skirt), and I'll feel really stupid if I bought a suit without needing to. Those things ain't cheap! I need to find some shells to go under it since I don't like button-down shirts, so if any of you have suggestions for where to get them, let me know.

And if you have suggestions for nice-looking laptop totes, I'm also all ears. I like some of the geometric prints in subdued colors by Kailo Chic, but I'm not sure if they say "professional with style" or are a little too casual.

Okay, nighty-night time. A sickly girl needs her rest!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home